11 December 2013

Tourists suck

Doing two part posts has been a theme here that is only here to continue. I had decided to travel to Italy with an open mind concerning the religious wonders and to try to appreciate the beauty of it all. That was extremely harder than I had ever thought. When visiting a popular religious site or church, it is almost impossible to take a step in any direction because of the sheer amount of tourists. I knew these sights were popular, but I guess I had assumed that entrance into the churches would be limited to small parties at a time. With the churches in Florence, Sienna, and Roman as an example, I was amazed that there were literally hundreds of tourists within these churches at any one time. Although all of the tourists were attempting to be quite and reverent, with that volume of people, it was impossible. The noise and commotion made any attempt at actual religious worship impossible. Christianity is not my religion of choice, but I was still incredibly disturbed to find out that the people who did want to ‘get their religion’ on were not able to.



No comments:

Post a Comment