11 December 2013

Italy’s overbearing amount of churches

Christianity, like many of its founders, has been a nomadic religion. Starting in the Middle East, it spread to Europe, where Italy could certainly be seen as the religious heart. Nowadays it could be argued that America is the religious heart of Christianity, but I would still disagree. After traveling through Italy, I can note that even though there may be many large, fanatical churches and peoples in the States, and the Bible Belt of the American South does have an impressive number of churches, nothing beats Italy. From the gaudy nature and size of the world-famous churches and cathedrals, to the small, more homely ones, churches are every where in Italy. Even in a small town like Montepulciano, there are many many religious houses. I'm not certain on the number, but I would wager a guess at maybe 6 or so just inside the walls and in the close proximity. Now, with a population of only like two thousand people in that area, that is impressive, especially with the knowledge that these are a Tuscan people that are often non-religious, and for some, even atheistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment