11 December 2013

The Bible as a cultural movement

As I mentioned, there was a wild turn from the teachings of the Old Testament into the New Testament, and I see a clear resemblance to this in our class lessons. Learning about such things as the transitions from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance to the Baroque period to Gothic Europe to the Romantic era to Avant-Garde to Modern Italy, it is clear that each cultural movement sought to take the teachings, beliefs, and customs of the immediate predecessor and turn them on their heads. I can see the correlation between this and the Christian book. The Bible seems to be trying to correct all of the fallacies and shortcomings that the writers perceived in the earlier work. A cruel god becomes merciful, two books filled with line after line of rules and regulations are replaced by four books essentially telling the same story of a young man seeking to help the weak and unfortunate and giving his own life for the masses. Whether this thought process was actually going on in the heads of the writers, I think this acts as just one more example that every generation seeks to outdo all that has came before.




No comments:

Post a Comment