11 December 2013

Pienza’s pure simplicity

Pienza is a jewel of a town, small and elegant, beautiful and compact, located in the Montepulciano comune in Tuscany. Not only does it have all the places to walk and small artisan shops that are beloved throughout the area by locals and tourists alike, but for its size (maybe a five-minute walk from end to end), I was amazed by its churches. Located on the piazza is a classic, somewhat grandiose cathedral, with the grand architecture and frescos within that are well-known in Italy, but it also has a beautiful quaint church just past the front gate. With a very plain yet rugged exterior, I would probably not have realised that it was a church if I had not had a tour guide. Within, I was struck by the pure simplisticity giving rise to classic beauty, even with a modern touch. Nothing lies within except for a few wooden pews, some old, faded, frescos, and a interesting looking stone alter, which I was told is something like 30 years old, and was carved from a solid marble piece especially for this purpose. We were the only people within, and I was overwhelmed with emotion, loving how stark a difference it struck when compared to the elaborate gaudiness of most Italian churches.



No comments:

Post a Comment