11 December 2013

Pantheon

Some people might consider Saint Peter’s Cathedral in the Vatican City to be the religious heart of the World, and in a modern sense, they could very well be correct, but it cannot go unsaid that this location lies a mere 20-minute walk from a more true religious heart of Italy. Before the rise of Judaism and Christianity, the World was still just as, if not more so, religious as today. The peoples of old focused their entire lives along a Pagan path. Lying probably a mile from the Vatican City is the Pantheon, a temple, whose name literally translates to All-Gods, that was a true home religious piety and wonder. When I visited, I was totally struck by not only its size, by far the largest Pagan religious structure that I have ever laid eyes on, but also the simplicity and atmosphere surrounding it. Upon first view, the day was turning to dusk, and there were crowds of people gathering still, with music playing, and vendors chattering. I the next post, I plan to talk on what lies within.



No comments:

Post a Comment